Last Updated on January 4, 2023 by Jamie
What is CBD?
For those who don’t know, Cannabidiol or CBD is a chemical found in the plant Cannabis Sativa, commonly known as hemp or Cannabis. Approved as a prescription drug you can use CBD supplements without any fear. And since some CBD products have lower amounts of this chemical, they are regarded as food supplements and can be integrated into your diet plan.
Aside from CBD, Cannabis sativa contains about 80 bioactive chemicals. THC or Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol is another prominent one which is more potent than CBD. This means that while CBD does influence the brain, its effects are nowhere near as severe as the ones THC entails.
CBD has been continually linked with many health benefits for ages. For instance, it is prescribed by many specialists to counter the effects of epilepsy and treat dystonia, Crohn’s disease, Parkinson’s, and many more.
Why is CBD so Popular:
CBD is one of the most popular choices among people, thanks to its numerous health benefits. Studies have shown that it can act as an effective remedy against several mental illnesses, such as depression, anxiety, and PTSD.
Another study proved that because CBD is non-invasive and non-psychoactive in nature, it does not cause addiction or side effects. This further increases its usefulness and makes it a go-to choose among people.
Benefits of CBD:
As mentioned above, the benefits CBD possesses are endless, making it desirable and famous among scientists and people.
Some of the well-known benefits of CBD include:
1. Relieves pain:
Cannabidiol has been a source for the treatment of pain since traditional times. Numerous studies have proven that CBD and specific other components lend pain-relieving properties to Cannabis.
Endocannabinoid is a specialised system in our body that is responsible for regulating sleep, hunger, pain, immunity, etc. CBD mimics the action of this system and binds to its specific receptors to show its effects, such as pain alleviation and reduced inflammation.
Some studies have also shown that while CBD is solely effective against nerve and back pain, its true pain alleviation potential can be unlocked when used in collaboration with THC. As this research shows that when used in combination with THC, CBD was highly effective in treating the pain of arthritis and MS (Multiple Sclerosis).
CBD has also been associated with the ready alleviation of neuropathic pain, reduction of stress and anxiety, and other eminent causes of chronic pain. This article also links CBD with providing relief from fibromyalgia and other rheumatic diseases.
2. Deals with Mental Health Issues:
Mental health illnesses such as anxiety and depression can harm the body. These issues can devastate a patient’s health and life quality. Most of the time, these issues are treated and regulated with medical drugs, which come with their fair share of side effects. They can cause increased drowsiness, reduced sexual drive, insomnia, and more. Plus, increased usage of these drugs may also culminate in unhealthy addiction and substance abuse.
And this is where CBD comes. This chemical can potentially treat mental health disorders without any such adverse effects. Studies have shown that while the rate of recovery and alleviation is gradual, its impact is still far more powerful and long-lasting. This study shows the effects of CBD when given to younger kids with insomnia and anxiety disorder.
All in all, this is one exceptional option and one that you needn’t think about twice.
3. Alleviation of Symptoms related to cancer:
There have been reports and substantial evidence regarding CBD’s significance in treating and relieving symptoms of cancer in patients. This chemical can help reduce symptoms like pain, vomiting, and nausea in cancer patients. This research shows that when given in combination with CBD, THC was far more effective in reducing the symptoms of advanced cancer patients as opposed to the ones that only received THC.
Where regular medication fails, CBD manages to show its purported effects. Still, it is advised that you consult your physician or attending oncologist before you start taking CBD.
4. It Contains Neuroprotective qualities:
As stated above, CBD can influence the human body’s endocannabinoid system. This has led many researchers to believe they can also use this chemical for patients suffering from neurological problems.
Numerous studies have been conducted on CBD’s effective treatment of neurological disorders like multiple sclerosis and epilepsy. Most of these studies have shown quite encouraging results as well. For example, CBD can be an effective and relatively harmless option for mitigating muscular spasms in people suffering from MS. In this experiment, it managed to alleviate these spasms by a rate of 75% in subjects that had developed a resistance to other conventional medications.
Another study showed that patients given a dose of 2 to 5 grams of CBD oil resulted in relief from seizures by about 36.5%.
Parkinson’s is another neurological disease that CBD has been proven to be effective for. Multiple studies have elucidated that CBD can enhance the quality of living and sleep in patients with Parkinson’s disease. FDA has even approved Epidiolex, a drug that contains cannabidiol in moderate amounts. It can also help regulate and reduce the effects of epilepsy, especially in cases where patients are suffering from Dravet and Lennox-Gastaut syndromes.
5. CBD is great for your Heart’s Health:
Many researchers have corroborated the positive effects CBD embodies when it comes to the heart and the circulatory system. CBD has been a treatment of choice for controlling blood pressure by many patients. High blood pressure is, after all, the root cause of many health problems such as heart attack and stroke; therefore, keeping it under control can protect your body from other diseases. In a study, nine men were administered a dosage of 600 mg of CBD oil. These subjects showed far more regulated and lowered blood pressure compared to those who received a placebo.
The same test was conducted by subjecting the participants to stressful stimuli that elevated blood pressure. Again, those subjects that received CBD oil showed a lower increase in blood pressure compared to those that had received the placebo.
While more research needs to be conducted to verify these claim of heart benefits of CBD, the fact remains that CBD is an effective regulator of blood pressure.
6. Other Benefits:
CBD has many other potential benefits as well, and many studies have been conducted to uncover them. While more descriptive research still needs to be done, here are a few other general benefits of CBD.
- CBD contains antipsychotic properties, making it an excellent choice for people who have schizophrenia and other issues. It helps them by mitigating the symptoms associated with these disorders.
- CBD can also be used for treating people suffering from substance abuse disorders. These people are usually the ones that are already suffering from depression, anxiety, etc. Unfortunately, these predicaments force them to become addicted to certain drugs, like heroin. CBD can help with this addiction if taken regularly and in modicum amounts, as shown in this article.
- Many researches indicate that CBD can also be effective in extending the lifespan of patients suffering from glioblastoma. This is an advanced and egregious form of cancer, and while the research is limited, the fact that CBD can extend a loved one’s life is still very uplifting.
- There have also been studies on CBD’s role as a sleep inducer. Many people suffer from sleeping disorders such as insomnia, and CBD can be effective in solving this. However, research is still insufficient to confirm this hypothesis.
CBD is effective when used for the following purposes:
- CBD and its derived product Epidiolex are an FDA-approved drug that can treat seizures in patients featuring symptoms of Tuberous Sclerosis, Lennox Gastaut Syndrome, and Dravet Syndrome. It is a great remedy for Epilepsy and other Seizure Disorders for now.
- CBD has another product called Sativex, a combination of CBD and THC and has been tested to be quite workable when treating people with MS or Multiple Sclerosis. CBD supplements can treat the tightness of the muscles, reduce pain, and increase the frequency of urination in patients suffering from MS. The product is famous all across the world and is in circulation in more than 25 countries worldwide. However, CBD can perform best when used in conjunction with THC for MS patients, and there hasn’t been much evidence of it being effective on its own for MS patients. Yes, some initial research proves that using CBD oil under the tongue reduces some issues like pain and tightness of muscles, but it doesn’t do much beyond that.
CBD Side Effects:
Mostly, CBD is safe to consume, but sometimes it can induce some side effects. These may include diarrhoea, reduced appetite, dry mouth, weakness, and lack of sleep.
It can also affect your health adversely by interacting with other medications that you are taking, particularly blood thinners. Therefore, you mustn’t start taking it on your own without consulting any health professional.
Is CBD for You?
CBD is a natural product, and much work has been done to corroborate its effectiveness in treating many diseases and health problems. It has become increasingly popular, and this speaks volumes about its significance.
While there is still much studying to be done regarding whether CBD can treat cancer and such, there has been substantial proof that it does work in other areas. For example, it can help treat sleeping disorders, mitigate pain from fibromyalgia, and muscle spasms, reduce anxiety, etc.
In concise, if you are looking for a natural product that can rid you of these predicaments, then CBD is for you.
How to Take CBD:
There are several ways to use CBD. These can be listed as follows for your facilitation:
- You can use CBD oil sublingually, meaning that you will have to place it under your tongue. Let it rest for a few minutes, and then swallow it for the best results.
- You can even rub CBD oil directly onto your skin. CBD oil comes in the form of lotion and plain oil for this purpose.
- CBD supplements even come in the form of tablets.
How to Find the Best CBD Products
Always do your research first before making a purchase. You also need to ensure that you are getting high-quality CBD products.
There are plenty of stores that claim to sell the best CBD products. However, be cautious of where you purchase them. Only go with reputable stores and brands.
CBD is indeed an essential chemical that can help treat anything and everything from fatigue and insomnia to severe conditions such as cancer and multiple sclerosis.
We hope that by now, you will have gained a better understanding of the significance of CBD. However, we advise that you consult your physician before making any plenary decision in this regard.
So, what are you waiting for?